Is this the real life?

My gram


Sooooo today is about how the social photo can take us in and out of the moment. I think that the general narrative that we grew up with (that comes from those who grew up without social media... even more than we did) is that social media is disconnected. It disconnects the individual from "real life", from those around them, and from the moments that they are trying to capture. However, I appreciate the idea of intimacy that Jurgenson brings up.

"Social photos can be a sensual expression of engagement with the moment rather than a sign of removal (85)"

I agree with this statement. I feel that for some, social media acts as an extension of the "real life" social world. That being, many individuals will use social media to further interact with the people that are immediately in their life, those who are more distant, and those who are strangers. Along with this notion, I think that the idea of street photographers is interesting. To me, it sounds like anyone can become a street photographer, with our advanced technologies. However, street photographers seem to require more than mere documentation. They decisively take a photo and use it to pose unanswerable questions (91). I feel as though street photography can be both intimate and detached... intimate because it is a snapshot or surveillance of "real life" but detached because of its movement and passive nature.










anyways thats what I got for today...

bye bye

Jojo

Comments